Tips on How & Why to Relax
Relaxation maybe one of the most important gifts you can give yourself. Some well-researched benefits that may come as a result of relaxation include:
- more energy
- better sleep
- enhanced immunity
- increased concentration
- better problem-solving abilities
- greater efficiency
- smoother emotions — less anger, crying, anxiety, frustration
- less headaches and pain
- gives the heart a rest by slowing the heart rate
- reduces blood pressure
- slows the rate of breathing, which reduces the need for oxygen
- increases blood flow to the muscles
- decreases muscle tension
Tips on How to Relax:
- become silent and still
- notice your breathing
- stretch or practice yoga prior to relaxing
- listen to a calming CD or a guided relaxation CD (I suggest Snatam Kaur's melodic voice as an idea to begin).
Here are 40 other ways to relax in 5 minutes or less.
A systematic guided relaxation practice is included in every public and private class I instruct. If you are interested in learning more, experiencing an extended guided relaxation session or learning how to do this on your own, please contact me.